Wednesday, May 14, 2008

My sister to spend eternity in Tokyo

I just found out from reading the comments on another post that my sister, who married into a Japanese family, is planning to have her ashes spread in Japan when she passes. I'm surprised. She's never lived in Japan, but her husband was raised in Tokyo and did not move to the U.S. until he was 18. His entire family is still in Tokyo. My sister says, now that she is part of that family and has their name, she will join them once she passes. It makes complete sense. Once you marry, your plans for a funeral and after-life arrangements should revolve around your husband/wife and not your family of origin. But it makes me wonder, how many families do not realize such surprises over the course of their lives and are surprised with decisions like this at the point of death?

Thanks for telling me now and not when you're 84, Sis!

No comments: