Monday, November 10, 2008

1,000 Cranes—from Dethmama


Dethmama wrote a lovely post about the Japanese tradition of making 1,000 origami cranes for an ailing loved-one. (And of course, as always, her post is about so much more.)

I love this tradition. My sister's in-laws are Japanese. Last year, I had some health problems, and my Japanese relatives immediately began folding cranes for me. It's the most heart-warming feeling to have someone make cranes for you. It's so simple and sweet and genuine.

And I imagine making them helps you feel useful ... because when someone you care about is sick or hurt, you ache for something to do, some way to help. Putting together 1,000 origami cranes will keep your hands busy for a long time.

1 comment:

dethmama said...

Thank you for this mention and your deeper understanding of my post.

If circumstances had been different, during my visit, I likely would have said something stupid like:
"OMG! This is so cool! Where can I go buy one for my house!?!