Monday, February 23, 2009

Another great link from Christian Sinclair. I love this video for its simple honesty. It reminds me of this article from Scientific American that talked about consciousness after death.

Many of us ponder death in a way that assumes we will have thoughts and sensations after it happens, but when it comes, both the article and the video say, we will simply stop, and we will not have consciousness to be aware that we have stopped. Therefore, there is no reason to fear our end.

In his post on the video, Sinclair compares its tone to that of a children's book. I could not have said it better myself. There is a simple, instructive narrative. A heartwarming feel, despite the hard subject. The narrator sounds like he wants to take care of us. To walk us gently through this harsh truth.

Give it a watch. I'm curious to know what other people think. Also, nothing really happens until the 40-second mark, so if you're a techy-generation, impatient sort, you'll want to zoom ahead.

3 comments:

Christian Sinclair said...

Thanks for the link. I find the comments on the YouTube page to be quite varied and a good insight into how anonymous people 'feel' about death and dying.

Glad to send you the links. I can barely find time to write for Pallimed lately so I don't want some of these opportunities to pass by.

Gail Rae said...

Although this is yet another Death Story, it's a great one...it made me feel better about my mother's death than any story I've heard, so far, and death in general...probably because it is also a great Life Story and, considering, as The Lion said, our inability to know death before our own death, the best Death Story, I think, is a Life Story.
This is so good I'm going to post a link to it through your journal. Thanks, Jessica. Thanks a lot!

Jessica Knapp said...

Gail, I'm so glad it was comforting to you. I found it really comforting, too. I think it has something to do with the "children's book" feel of it all that Christian Sinclair pointed to in his post.

Christian, I hadn't even thought to look at the YouTube comments. I'm going to go do that now.