Sunday, May 17, 2009

What Would Jesus Twitter?


Christian Sinclair alerted me to this site, which he called a good taste fail. I couldn't have said it better myself. 

The site is called Tweeji and is like Twitter, except all the tweets are from dead celebrities—Bettie Page, Shakespeare, and yes, even Jesus Christ himself. 

Today, Jesus tweeted, "My day is about to end and I never got to go Jew fishing!?!? I need to buy a planner." 

Are you kidding me? Is it just me or is this incredibly tacky? 

Other tweets seem more like actual quotes from the famous figures, just abbreviated into tweet-like spelling.

Walt Disney tweeted today, "I believe that entertainment usually fulfills sm vital & normal curiosity 4 every man, woman & child who seeks it." 

Would this site be funny if the application was better, or is the whole concept a fail from the start? It's definitely sensationalistic and interesting on that level, but once you get beyond the shock-value of the concept, most of the tweets are either completely straightforward and a little boring or so shocking that they can't help but be offensive. 

Check it out. Let me know what you think. 

4 comments:

Silverwillow said...

I would call it lame...at best.

Jessica Knapp said...

I totally agree, Silverwillow. Christian Sinclair forwarded an article about the service that pointed out it might be different if they were framing it as tweets from historic figures, instead of tweets from dead figures. I think that might be a bit more tasteful. Still strange, but not quite as classless. But yes, well put.

Jessica Knapp said...

http://mashable.com/2009/05/14/tweeji/

Here's the article I was referencing.

Gail Rae said...

Yeah, it's lame...and, believe me, I never use that word! I couldn't stay with it more than a few minutes.