Monday, September 1, 2008

Quick Update on Accidental Death Stats

About three weeks ago, I posted about the top three causes of accidental death:
1. car crashes
2. poisonings
3. falling

The information comes from Amanda Ripley's awesome book, The Unthinkable. Well, car crashes are pretty obvious and self-explanatory.

But one of my commentors asked for more information about how people would die by poisoning or falling—does poisoning include drug overdoses; does falling include when the elderly fall and suffer brain injuries, etc. Great questions.

I can't find exactly the information I'm looking for, but I am still searching. However, I did find this piece from the Washington Times, about two years ago, that announces accidental falls are the leading cause of death for people over 65. The information comes from a study by the U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention. I think this is a good indicator for why the statistics show falls as such a high cause of accidental death.

Regarding poisonings, I found some sources online that I don't think are solid enough to rely upon, but they suggest the poisonings do include drug overdoses. Logically, oI think it must; otherwise, where could so many poisonings be coming from? But I'd like to find a good source.

1 comment:

Dr. Joanne Cacciatore said...

Death is always intriguing, is it not? Thank you for the recent visit, and please do stay in touch!