Sunday, August 24, 2008

Headaches!

I've been having lots of trouble with my migraines the past 10 days or so. I just took the GREs Saturday morning. I'm sure a lot of the pain was due to stressing over the test. But the weather here in Seattle has also been shifting around a lot lately—hot one day, cold the next; dry one day, pouring the next. I've read a little research on humidity and barometric pressure affecting migraine pain. So, I think I'm going to try to keep track of my pain and how it relates to weather.

I have chronic, daily migraines ... but most days they're mild. So, whenever they get to be more severe, I'm always keen to root out the source. Sometimes it's the scent of a new product I've recently purchased. Sometimes it's a food I've been eating. I'm hoping this series of headaches just fades away once I get back into my routine now that I've finished the GREs.

But for anyone who has any type of chronic pain that may or may not be affected by the weather, I found this handy link on the Weather Channel's website. They rate, on a scale of 1 to 10, how strong the possibility for weather-related pain is on any given day. They even forecast out aches and pains 10 days into the future. I just found the site, but I'll be curious to see if there's any correlation.

In the meantime, I'll be holding my head and looking for something cold to hold over my eyes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks Ja!
I get pain in the Arthritis in my neck. And I know it has a lot to do with weather!

Sorry about your headaches, I hate to hear that you aren't doing well. It's been a life long fight for you. I remember when we were little and you would get them and just suffer for hours!
Poor JA!

Jessica Knapp said...

Thanks. I appreciate your thoughts. I hope you're doing OK with the arthritis :(

I feel like maybe I'm on the mend? Less head pain today, although the nausea is still there. It's nice and cool out today, which always helps my migraines. The headaches have been a lot worse the past couple of years. I've read some research that shows it can be at its absolute worst for women in their late 20s and early 30s—which is where I'm at. So, it doesn't help me right now, but maybe I'm peaking on the migraine pain and it will get better on its own in a few years.